Everyone can stop watching the twenty four hour cable news programs.. I'm not going to be headlining any "Breaking News" alerts! I left the house today! Yup, I got into my all wheel drive, little red ladybug and I went to Church this evening! I honestly could hear my Mom telling me to "get out and blow the stink off!". So, I went out into the wintry wonderland - crap weather - and I braved the elements for the eight mile trek to Church. The question I have is, has ANYONE in this damn county ever HEARD of a salt truck????? Hey Kelly! Where's Joe when I need him??? Sheeeeesh!! It was a little rough going, but my trusty little ladybug did everything she was supposed to do. The snow hasn't let up since this weekend, can you believe it?? To all of you who say that you would love to have snow for Christmas, come and get it! It's ALL yours - you want it?? Help yourself to every last flake!! It was good to be out of the house today. It took me about forty minutes to travel the eight mile ride, but there were no "if's, and's, but's or excuses" I had to be there - I was playing the Mass tonight!
I spent the day getting out the decorations that are going up. I think tomorrow I'm going to decide which I'd like to take out and which ones stay in the bins. We've accumulated so much in the almost thirty years we've been married that if I put up every decoration we had, well... it would be as though Christmas exploded in my house! The first that come out are the home made decorations that the kids made for us - they go up every year. The deciding comes after that. The Hubs and I have decorations from our childhoods, and from my parents childhood. Some of the really old stuff is so fragile that for years they stayed in their protective wrapping. I have boys, remember?? I put some of the old stuff out the past few years, but now there is a GrandAngel running around, so I think the old stuff will have to wait for another couple of years to come out. Everything that is decorated from the waist down needs to be plastic, movable, and nontoxic when eaten.. One of my favorite decorations is one that the Hubs and I bought the first year we were married. Being students, we didn't have much money - none actually. We purchased a box of eight Styrofoam gingerbread cookie decorations, along with other finery we could find at the Five and Dime store (today's equivalent of a Dollar Store with a LOT more junk!). I think the whole package of eight decorations cost a total of seventy nine cents. Anyway, when our oldest Baby was about two years old, he took a bite out of the head of one of those decorations! Of course, being the Mom that I am, I dated it, saved it, and now it is a treasured decoration! I have loads of these "special" dated ornaments, and they find their way onto our tree every year! I've always wanted to try a "specialty" tree like the kind you see in magazines, they're always sooo beautiful. When it all comes down to it though, I'm not sure I could put a tree up without those home made, self dated, antique, and just plain funny and silly ornaments... A second tree perhaps....
Until next time!



7 * Your Comments Make My Day Brighter!:
Thank you for the comment. It helps to have other people's support. I love your layout by the way.
Hello my dear! I am still alive! We have a tiny tree but it is starting to fill up! I only put my most favorite items on it! Every year I look for mermaid tree ornaments. Hard to come by unless you live in Florida! So sorry that the weather isn't fabulous! Thinking of you!!
I have the same problem! My hubby and I are still acquiring Christmas decorations but I've always wanted to do one of those fancy trees I see in stores. I just can't bring myself to do it. I want my kids' first ornaments on it, and my hubby and mine ornaments and all the little ones they make. My tree looks just like my mom's did...a mix & match tree of silliness. *sigh* Like you said, maybe a second tree...
I have decorations that are now 42 years old - every year I buy one new one - so as you can guess I have alot!
Glad to hear that you braved the elements and went out into the world - I bet it made you feel so much better :) !
I'll take the snow! We get maybe one or two days of snow a year. I love it so much.
Sounds like you're getting your Christmas on!
I'll take some of that snow if you have some left over after Amanda! :) I'd love to see pictures of your tree!
How did I miss all this cuteness!
heehee
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by!!