That quote was written by Walter Scott and is found in "Marmion," an epic poem about the Battle of Flodden Field (1513) "Marmion" was published in 1808.. Yeah.. it's been quiet around here today.. Not much going on. At. All. Can you tell?? My liquid diet starts later this week so I've been enjoying a whole slew of "last suppers" these days. Surprisingly though, I've not had an uncontrollable urge to wolf down every morsel of edible food and maybe not edible too that is in this house - I really thought I would. I expected to be that little yellow Pac-Man tearing throughout my entire house.. We'll talk on Friday though.. I'll be anxious to see whether or not I will be wishing I DID wolf down every morself of edible food in this house!
So far the agenda is: Liquids beginning on Thursday, a pre-surgery appointment next Tuesday with the Bariatric Doc, a pre-surgery appointment next Tuesday with the Anaesthesiologist, and a pre-surgery appointment on the 8th of July with my Rheumatologist.
This past weekend we celebrated our GrandAngel's second birthday here on the Ponderosa. Our family from the "Burgh" came up for the event. Other than the preparations for the party, I've created a virtual mess of office work for myself in hopes of having everything finished before surgery - and more importantly after. But this weekend I got 'ta thinkin'.. I need to throw a question out there to all my Banded and Beautiful Babes..
How many people have you told about your weight loss surgery? Before and after...
Who I have told... I have of course discussed it in length with the Hubs - who has given me his unconditional support. The kids know and are completely behind me, my Priest who is our best friend and brother knows (it's the Catholic girl in me...) and he's given me his blessing, my Spiritual Adivsor and friend Sr. Marian knows, and she is absolutely thrilled for me, three of my best friends know and they're totally excited that I've decided to do this. Who I have NOT told... My family. And I'm feeling really guilty about that, too. Guilty enough to be thinking thoughts like, "oh my heavens - what if I die on the operating table??" Or, "What do I tell them if I DO begin losing a good deal of weight", or when they're heaping my plate with home made Haluski, Galumpkies and Kogl Mogl - and I'm eating it like a bird?? Or heaven forbid - sin of all sins - not drinking beer?? I come from a hearty Polish/Russian family who centers every one of life's milestones around food.. LARGEAMONGUS quantities of food.. The Hubs family is Italian - I can't WIN here, can I... One reason I have not said anything to them is that that our parents are getting up in age. They have a whole list of their own life threatening health issues that they're dealing with on a daily basis - I really don't want to burden them by adding worry (and they will.. excessively so.. Polish/Russian/Italians, remember??). Another reason is that I'm really not sure they'd understand - or more importantly - approve. I've not told my brother because.. well.. I just don't want to hear it from him. He is the type of person who knows everyting about every subject - and will fight you to the death (you will be begging for death) if you disagree with him... I love him dearly but I just don't want to deal with him on this particular subject. I'm sure he knows a guy who knows a guy who lost 800 pounds on the beer and chips diet and that I could do alot better on my own if I tried... yadda... yadda...
How did you (or would you) handle this?? I would love to hear your thoughts on this matter....
I hope your week is going great!
Until Next Time!
Not sure where to start since I haven’t checked in for a minute. Things
have been pretty busy and just keeping up with life seems like too much
somedays...
2 weeks ago



9 * Your Comments Make My Day Brighter!:
Before surgery I only told a very few people. My mom, because she lived right across the street from me (and her husband was my boss, so I'd have to explain my leave of absence) and some of the people I worked with, oh yeah, and my husband. I didn't tell many other people because I did not want to hear their opinion. I knew my choice, and didn't want anyone to try to talk me out of it. After surgery, I don't post about it on facebook, but every one I talk to regularly or see at all knows. I even tell strangers, if an opportunity comes up. Now that its done, your opinion does not matter to me. There is no un-doing it. and if my being open about it helps someone else get informed or feel like there is help, then it is worth it. most people who disapprove are at least respectful enough to not say it to my face! But, the fact of the matter is, you need to do what is comfortable for you.
I practically shouted it from the rooftops!! I'm pretty sure everyone who knows me - and probably most of my small town - knows. I am proud of my band and the decision I made to get healthy!!! And I have been fortunate to find support everywhere!!! But, YOU tell whomever you want. You are correct: do what is comfortable for you!!!!
I pretty much told everyone but my mother, whom I haven't spoken with for some 15 years anyway. Another family member told her. Not that I cared. The thing is, I have a sister who is morbidly obese. I have friends with morbid obesity. They've all been too scared off by the social stigma of surgery to go themselves... until they've seen my results. Now they're at least thinking of it.
I have two thoughts on this: First off, I'm not at all ashamed of having WLS. Second off, anyone else I can help conquer obesity, I will.
Morning sunshine!
You will be able to eat most things after surgery. There are a few things that I stay away from. Doughy bread and hamburgers always.
I have told a few people about surgery. But I keep it to myself. Hell who don't know think I have changed my hair. I want to slap em and say NO YOU DOPE. I've lost 50 lbs. But I smile and say yes.
I didn't want to deal with rumors in my small town. It might come out and I might not care. I have wanted to help a few people by telling them but I didn't! I think not telling your parents is just fine. I did't want to tell my grandparents just because I don't think they would understand. Ya know!
I am very proud of my WLS. I needed help and I got it!
I've told pretty much everyone except my paternal grandmother... she's 85 and SUPER proud of me for losing weight - period. She's just so much older that she'd worry her eyeballs out.
I've told almost everyone I interact with on a regular basis, so I'm not shy about it. But I would say if and WHEN you're comfortable, then is the time to tell them (or anyone) - not now while you're in the pre-op process and stressing enough all on your own! And if the when never comes, that's okay, too.
A simple, "I'm trying to lose weight, so I'm not eating as much" is pretty much all most people require. :)
I'm so excited for you Lisa.
I told my mom, my husband, and 3 of my 4 closest friends (my 4th friend still doesn't know) before surgery. After surgery I told my 2 cousins (like sisters), and my 3 friends at work.
I told my work friends because we often go to lunch and I didn't want them asking me crazy questions. They are always supportive and keep me on my toes about my eating at work.
My cousins never bring it up. I think they are worried that if I'm not losing I would be upset.
My friends who know are happy and excited for me.
I'm not ashamed of my surgery at all. I'm just a very private person.
I think you should tell the people you are comfortable sharing your joy with. Everyone else can kiss your butt.
You'll get a whole wide array of responses to this one.
Before surgery I told my hubby (obviously), my parents, my best friend, my boss and a girl at work who I knew would be supportive.
After surgery, I've told 2 of my other best friends and my sister and like 150 people in blogland. I'm pretty close lipped about it. I don't like the judgment that comes with WLS. If you don't want to cause worry but will feel guilty, tell them AFTER surgery. By then, you're fine and it's too late for them to try to talk you out of it. That's my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Finally everything is coming together! I'm so happy for you! I told everyone. I don't care who knows,because my struggle with my weight has been painfully obvious to anyone around me. I did prepare myself for the negative comments and formulated a response, which was: "I'm so happy with my decision to get the help I need. I've done the homework, I know what I'm getting into, if your comment is not one of support, please don't share it!" Worked like a charm, I only had to say it twice. It's your decison you tell who YOU want to tell! Good luck!
I think you have to do what is best for you. Don't make your decision on what others will think, but what you want! I told my immediate family and close friends before the surgery. I really struggled with how I wanted to handle this, but now I've pretty much decided that if people ask me, I will tell them. I'm not going to announce it to everyone on Facebook, but I won't hide it either.
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by!!