Preconceived Notions

First I would like to welcome all of our lovely B.O.O.B.S. home from what sounds like an amazing weekend!  Fear not, fellow bloggers - those of us chosen to be "designated bloggers" kept blog-land neat and tidy during your absence!  Everything here is just as you left it - and you were all sorely missed!!

Preconceived Notions...  On Saturday I had written a post confessing, shame on me, that I do not own a belt.  I guess what that all boils down to is that as a larger woman, I just hated buying belts.  Hated it.  That wretched number on the tag of the belt at the store read simply "FAT" - not a number, just "FAT"..  So...   like many other things I don't want to own up to, I would put the belt back.  Hence, no belts.  Besides, I really didn't need a belt - my ample stomach was more than enough to hold those slacks into place - and not having a belt meant not having to loosen it after a large meal, good plan at the time...  OK, back to the post and preconceived notions.  I was getting dressed to attend a funeral mass and put on my standard, all purpose black slacks - only to find they were falling off my derriere.  I needed a belt and borrowed the Hub's..  When I absentmindedly grabbed the slacks, it never occurred to me that they wouldn't fit - I do not see myself as being one ounce smaller than I was two months ago..  Oh, I see the numbers on the scale, I make sure to see them every day.  But I don't see me as being that number..  I subconsciously assume that everything I have still fits because I haven't changed.  I've purchased a few pieces of clothing (obviously not slacks or a belt though) since losing some weight, but I still end up in the women's department - and have not bought a different size..  Robyn, from Robyn's Nest was so kind to ask me in her comment on my previous post what size pants I need..  Thank you Robyn!  To answer that question, I first need to admit that I have no idea what size pants, tops, shoes - anything - that I wear..  Secondly, I need to realize that whatever that size is, it is not the size I wore on June 30, 2011 - the day before my liquid diet began before surgery.  Are there support groups for body blindness???

Digging deeper into the old psyche (cue eerie music)..  Soooo many - too many to count - times in the past I've lost weight.  After losing what seemed like tons of weight I would run out and gleefully purchase new and wonderful clothes to reflect my new and improved body - only to eventually gain back the weight.  Sadly, and with disgust in myself, I then give away my wonderful new clothing to more deserving (in my mind) skinny women..  Could this be why I've not reevaluated the size conundrum?  Perhaps....

I guess what is needed is a day of retail therapy.  I need to take a day to myself, go to a department store and actually try on clothing.  I've not done that in years.  I've not tried clothing on in YEARS, people!  Fitting rooms..  I've always hated the little rooms, the overly bright lights, the mirrors that show every flaw, every roll - everything...  Just like the belt thing, trying on clothing, alone in that little room, exposed something I didn't want to own up to - so I avoided it at all cost.  I never looked at tags except to check the price.  If I could drape it around me in the store, it fit.  Some preconceived notions are hard to let go of though.  To get the most out of my day of retail therapy, I need to look - really look - and see.  I need to see that regardless of what size that tag may say, it does not reflect who I am, it is simply a number.  That number does not measure how healthy I am feeling, or how good losing this weight has been for me.  I am NOT the number.

A new world is beginning to emerge around me.  It is up to me to see it.  Self evaluation - it's a good thing...

Have a terrific week!!
Until Next Time!
Photobucket

9 * Your Comments Make My Day Brighter!:

Dani said...

I think I also need to join the body blindness support group! I have one crappy cheap belt out of necessity only and understand completely your post-the one thing that has helped me is going shopping - and trying on and for me the impersonal department stores were the best-nobody knew what size I was taking in etc:)

Rachel said...

I have an awesome super black wide elastic belt from Jones of NY and it is fabulous because it is so stretchy... even when I am super fat lol

MandaPanda said...

Great post! I think we all struggled with this in the beginning. As I confessed yesterday, I still don't own a belt. I did try stuff on but I would usually end up in tears by the end of the day. Now I find it's fun to try stuff on and I have to because I'm a different size in everything depending on style, brand, etc. I'm in a very zen place about it because I no longer care about the number so much as how it looks and the fact that the store carries whichever size I am is such a great improvement as to where I was a year ago. Go forth and shop! (and take pictures! LOL)

vickyd said...

I could have written that post! I will admit that I still don't own a belt...I hate wearing them! One thing I have really had to get used to as I have lost weight is having to try on clothes before buying them. I used to either mail order my clothes or just buy them off the rack without trying them on but now my size can vary from store to store depending on fit and since I can't shop at LB anymore I have no idea how each store's sizes run. It has been a HUGE adjustment but now I enjoy trying on clothes because I'm more comfortable with the person I see in the mirror...

Beth Ann said...

Aww...I totally get it. But this time it is for real, babe. Go buy some pants! :) Actually, I haven't been buying any pants other than jeans. I find that dresses stay with you longer as you lose...

Justawallflower said...

I can not tell you the last time I bought a belt. Actually, I can. It's never happened. The only belts I own are the ones that come with something I buy. And then I never wear them. If you buy a size 20 pant, why does it come with a size 18 belt? Or is it just me? The dress I wore Saturday night had a belt with it. Ask anyone who was sitting with me at the table, it was unfasented half the time! I fear I will never be a belt person!

Andrea said...

I've been avoiding wearing belts for a long time too. I have no idea what size I am because every time I try something on it's a different size. Dont' worry about the size just find something that fits and makes you feel good! :)

Kelli said...

Someone just commented to me at work that I needed to get a belt, and that was such a foreign concept to me. I have always looked for reasons to undue my button for a little extra room, not wear a belt...those are for skinny people right??

Lap Band Groupie said...

Hey sweetie...missed you bunches and happy that things will finally slow down a little here so we can chat more! I owned one belt that I had to punch a hole to enlarge and used to flip over and make divots in my tummy when I sat down...and that finally ripped in half from my gains...yow. Oh, and I call it BDD=Body Dysmorphic Disorder...and I still have it, but it does get better with lots of new pics and new photos to start seeing yourself.

I just wrote a bunch on spending 5 hours in 'retail therapy' trying to figure out what sizes I now wear...I'm still confused on a few things LOL. Here's the real therapy...I have sworn off buying things just because they are on sale and they can 'drape around my body'...I actually put a stack of nice and inexpensive great clothes back the other day because I didn't LOVE them...it about killed me. Losing it this time means we're never going back there and at goal, we may be looking at these clothes for a long time! ((hugs))

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!!